One of the questions we hear the most from our clients is, “How long is it going to take to sell my house?” According to Realtor.com, the average number of days that a home is on the market before it’s sold is 65. That means if your home was listed today, you can expect it to go under contract in about 65 days. However, you can speed up the process by paying attention to these five factors that make a huge difference:
1. Location. This is a big one. Are you on a busy street, or located near major employers or schools? All of this will play a factor.
2. Price. First, and most importantly, you want to make sure you don’t overprice your home, because that will severely limit your buyer pool. You want to make sure that you look at what prices other homes like yours have sold for and price your home accordingly.
3. The home’s condition. Every home is a little different. What have you done to maintain your home? What updates have you made to it?
4. Inventory. This refers to how many homes are on the market. Supply and demand matter. If there are a lot of homes on the market, there’s a lot more competition for you. If there are fewer homes, then you have less competition and your home is more likely to sell more quickly.
5. School district. This is a particularly important factor for buyers with children. There are plenty of websites out there where people check the rankings of certain school districts.
As you can see, these five factors really play a huge role in how quickly your home will sell when you list it for sale. If you have any questions for us in the meantime about your home’s value or about real estate in general, don’t hesitate to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.